A third of the British population fear going to the dentist, according to stats published by Dentistry magazine. This fear ranges from a slight panic when entering the dentist’s chair, to a paralysing anxiety that prevents us from seeking dental care even when we know that we have developed a serious dental problem.
The 5 most common reasons for fearing a visit to the dentist:
- We believe that previously unknown problems may be discovered
- We have a phobia of the dentist’s drill and other dental equipment
- During our childhood we had a disturbing experience at the dentist
- We’ve had a bad adulthood dental experience
- We fear pain
The first step towards dealing with our fear is to be honest both with ourselves and with our dentists. Dental care professionals are trained to help nervous patients and at the Bosham Clinic Dental, all of our staff are committed to maintaining an environment that overcomes anxiety and helps our patients to relax.
There are a range of effective strategies that we employ during treatment including:
- Recommending that you bring a friend to accompany you in the surgery
- Agreeing a signal, such as raising your hand, if you feel pain or are feeling too anxious to continue with your check-up or surgery
- Suggesting that you use personal headphones to play music as a form of distraction during your time in the Dentist’s chair
- Applying a numbing gel to the gum prior to the insertion of the needle, which reduces the awareness of the needle entering the gum
For more intense anxiety, our dentists are qualified to administer sedatives and via our medical clinic, we offer a range of alternative therapies that work towards curing fear.
Overcoming our fear of the dentist is critical to our health and wellbeing.
Our top 5 reasons why everyone needs to visit the dentist for regular check-ups:
- It could save your life
Your dentist will spot the early signs of oral cancer and early diagnosis is critical to successful treatment
- It can prevent gum disease
Almost 50% of people over the age of 30 have some form of periodontal disease and this percentage increases with age. Periodontal disease occurs as a result of infection and inflammation of the gums and bone that support your teeth. Only regular check-ups can prevent it, and subsequently prevent you from losing teeth
- It keeps your smile white and bright
Regular deep cleaning by your dentist removes the stains on your teeth that are caused by tea, coffee, curry, tobacco and red wine
- It helps prevent bad breath
Regular check-ups are the first step towards identifying and combating Halitosis
- It saves money in the medium to long term
A check-up is relatively inexpensive. It keeps your teeth maintained, preventing the future dental problems that could require more invasive and more expensive treatment.
At the Bosham Clinic Dental, our dental surgeries are calm, positive and welcoming. Our full team of staff is trained to offer additional support to patients who suffer from anxiety about visiting the dentist. If you would like to book a dental check-up or if you have any other dental requirements, please book an appointment online or call us on 01243 778888.